Slides from my ACCU Silicon Valley talk

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 13 08:30:33 PST 2010

On Monday 13 December 2010 04:05:33 bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
> > I don't see what that poster thought would be gained by enforcing that,
>
> If you read that part in the Reddit thread you see that the gain is in a
> (supposed) higher understandability of the code that uses the operators.
>
> > but it's _really_ easy to have useful and legitimate overloaded operators
> > which can't be pure.
>
> Do you have examples?

At the momement, pretty much none of the operator overloads in std.datetime are
pure, and while some of them _may_ be able to become pure with the pure nothrow
bug fixed, I don't think that they'll all be able to. All it takes is _one_
function in the whole call chain which can't be pure, and then _none_ of them
can pure. It's _really_ easy to make purity not possible. Things will improve as
more of Phobos becomes pure, but forcing stuff to be pure is generally a _bad_
idea.

- Jonathan M Davis