Slides from my ACCU Silicon Valley talk

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Dec 13 12:27:26 PST 2010

Andrei:

>Walter wants to keep complex literals. I strongly believe they are completely useless.<

Thank you for your answer. So far I have used D complex numbers only two times, so I don't have to use them often, so I don't feel a strong need for them. But I like that people that use them often will find a handy syntax for those literals.

Generally I like good literals, it's one of the differences between D and dumb languages. For example I'd like DMD to support multi-precision integer literals too:
bigint x = 100_000_000_000_000_000_000_000_000_000_000_000_000;

We may write down a list of all the advantages and disadvantages of complex literals (and I'd like someone that writes code that processes complex values to help in the writing of this list), and then try to decide rationally to keep them or remove them. I don't have strong feelings about this topic, so I will have no problems with both results.

Bye,
bearophile