Slides from my ACCU Silicon Valley talk

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Dec 13 17:45:08 PST 2010

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:44:36 -0500, snk_kid wrote:

> Gary Whatmore Wrote:
>
>> Simen kjaeraas Wrote:

>> > Done.
>> >
>> > http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/eklq0/
andrei_alexandrescus_talk_at_accu_silicon_valley/

>> Guys, I made several sockpuppet reddit accounts to mod down the two
>> guys >criticising this thread. I recommend everyone to help us improve
>> D's publicity by >ignoring these trolls and voting them down. It has
>> worked before, too -- reddit >seems to fold the subthreads that get too
>> many negative votes. This makes it >look much better than it is.
>>
>>  - G.W.
>
> That's absolutely pathetic, you're actually doing the community a
> disservice.

I really don't know what to say. Take a look at

0 points: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/eklq0/
andrei_alexandrescus_talk_at_accu_silicon_valley/c18swbi

or

-1 points: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/eklq0/
andrei_alexandrescus_talk_at_accu_silicon_valley/c18sz8n

These say nothing against D. Why does one take them personally? They are
both also highly informative. As far as I can tell, these two comments go
much deeper in operator semantics theory than the combined effort of 68
other threads by Walter, Andrei et al. For example the precedence of
operators can get problematic when using several libraries from various
vendors.

Then you have:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/eklq0/
andrei_alexandrescus_talk_at_accu_silicon_valley/c18t1d5

"I really like D (2.0) and I wish it would take off."

7 points? WTF? What is the value of this reply? It's a purely subjective
opinion and doesn't necessarily even beg for further discussion.