Slides from my ACCU Silicon Valley talk

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 00:57:19 PST 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:43:11 -0600
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> > I'm also a bit more of a
> > fan of C++0x concepts than those contraints shown in the slides. I
> > haven't really thought how it all would work out, but if the atmosphere
> > was more ambitious to this direction, I could participate more. But it
> > seems my vision conflicts badly with what D2 has become.
>
> In all honesty, it is difficult to infer your vision from the trail of
> your posts.
>
> As of C++ concepts, let me mention a few facts fresh from the source (I
> literally collected them an hour ago). C++ concepts are dead, buried,
> and decomposing. Nobody is working on them and there is exactly one guy
> in the world still talking about them. For a variety of theoretical and
> practical purposes, they will never make it in C++.
>
> D's constrained templates were introduced on 17 June 2008 and they've
> been a smashing hit. Virtually all of Phobos uses them, and I'm sure a
> lot of generic client code. They take half a minute to explain and solve
> a difficult problem in a very simple manner.
>
> I'm not saying you can't convince that C++-style concepts would be
> superior. I'm saying you'll need to bring some solid evidence to the
> table. If you don't, please don't claim you're being ostracized :o).

About "concept" + "programming", you may have a look at XL http://xlr.sourceforge.net/concept/toplevel.html (an extensible PL, or a set of PLs, built to support "concept programming") (more info at http://xlr.sourceforge.net/concept/top.html). This language also has a very clear (semantics) & nice (syntax) template/generics system... with constraints (done right, imo). (Example at http://xlr.sourceforge.net/examples/maximum.html)

Denis
vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com