[Somewhat OT] Re: How convince computer teacher

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Dec 14 10:30:29 PST 2010

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.982.1292310762.21107.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>> "Justin Johansson" <noreply at jj.com> wrote in message
>> news:ie5boj$24nm$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> You are clearly wrong in your conclusion.
>>> My hypothesis is that by attracting better talent for teaching we may
>>> teach for the betterment of all.
>>> How you have extrapolated 50% of students for 50% of teachers if beyond
>>> me.
>>
>> I think he meant 50% fewer teachers leads to a doubled workload for the
>> remaining teachers.
>>

>Exactly.
>I am assuming that most teachers workloads can't be increased much (if
>it could,
>there weren't as many teachers to start with, the schools won't pay
>more teachers
>than needed), so if 50% of the teachers are fired, about 50% of the
>students can't
>be taught.
>Maybe class sizes could be increased a bit and the remaining teachers could
>work some more - but it'd still be maybe 40% of the students that
>can't be taught
>and with bigger classes and more work those good teachers probably won't be
>that
>great anymore, anyway.

Well, like I said before, the way I see it, most students aren't really
being taught right now anyway. The teachers and students go through the
motions but there's little-to-no actual teaching/learning going on. So I
think educating 50% of students would be a huge net gain.