emscripten

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:43:23 PST 2010

Michael Stover:
> Did you use the gmail webapp to write that?

No. My public email address is gmail so I get a free spam
filter and online archive, but I don't actually use their
awful, awful interface. (All incoming mail to that address is
forwarded to my real email address, and my outgoing mail is
SMTP relayed back through gmail. My real address remains spam
free by being secret.)

This does bring me to two rants though:

a) Gmail's web interface is horrible, even the basic HTML
version. Consider this: right click a message... no "open in
new window" option! WTF.

I handle, on average, about 170 emails a day. In my mail client
(mutt) and my server setup, this is no bother for me. There's no
waiting on slow servers. The controls are natural and fluid. I can
pick up on another computer right where I left off, thanks to
GNU screen. When I'm emailed a dozen attachments, it is a simple
case of hitting a button to save them all locally - no annoying
scan and downloading of them individually.

With gmail, I'd have to click through the messages one thread at a time, never
seeing the whole message (their hiding of quoted text and signatures, not 100%
accurate!). Try to reply? Have to deal
with their godawful editor (with mutt I can just use vim) and
the hidden text below it (implicit top quoting, are they on drugs?).

With new incoming mail, my computer beeps the second it arrives
and is idle while waiting. With gmail, it'd be sitting there
polling, at the notice it does give doesn't even compare in terms
of usability or speed.

Oh, and search? Surely Google could get search right? Nope

The worst part? Gmail might have the best of the web mail interfaces. Goes to tell
you how dreadfully awful they are in general.

b) I am posting this from the digitalmars news web interface.
For some reason, my emails don't seem to reliably get through.

And this php webnews thing makes gmail look like heaven. It's
amazing the level of suck in this thing. I'm sure everyone
who has used it will agree so I'll spare you the long rant.

But there's times that I feel the greatest service someone
could do for D would be to replace this thing!