emscripten

Michael Stover michael.r.stover at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:29:32 PST 2010

I've used Pegasus, thunderbird, Exchange, Evolution, and whatever is on my
Mac by default (briefly).  I've used other web emails too, including one for
Exchange, which is terrible.  Some of your complaints are not generic to
javascript/web apps - like the right click complaint.  It can be done
easily.  They didn't do it, but this complaint is not damning against the
browser platform.

Complaining the editor isn't like vi just makes me roll my eyes.  Few would
really want it to be.  However, again, there are vi clones in javascript, if
one were really wanted it.

I didn't understand your complaint about having to read one thread at a
time.  I don't have the ability to read more than one at a time anyway, so I
do not have this complaint.

The server has never been slow for me, at all.  I set one browser tab to
gmail at the start of the day and never think about it again.  New emails
are always just there for me.

I can go anywhere and get my email, including the computers at the Y, the
library, from behind the firewall at work, and on my sister's computer when
I go visit her for Christmas.  I won't have to install anything to be able
to do so.

I probably get ~100 non-spam emails a day here.  Managing it is hardly any
work at all.

I really don't think the complaints about the browser platform and
javascript have much validity anymore.  They used to.  But I think those
days are gone, and I think it's like the whole "java is slow" phenomenon.
It takes a ridiculously long time for most people to change their perception
of things once they've had a bad experience.

Mike