Paralysis of analysis

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Tue Dec 14 16:35:34 PST 2010

> What say you?

I feel like the odd man out here since my perspective is so different.  I
use custom container classes even in C++, partly because I can usually get
better performance that way, and because I can customize the the container
however I like.  So I will probably be doing my own containers if/when I use
D.

Beyond that, my own personal preferences seem so different that I hesitate
to mention them.  I use dynamic arrays by far the most out of all container
classes.  I use them so much that I cringe at the thought of allocating them
on the GC heap.  My code is very high performance and I would like to keep
it that way.

Also, my usage of arrays is such that most of them are empty, so it is
important to me that the empty arrays are stored efficiently.  Using my
custom container class, an empty array does not require a heap allocation,
and only requires a single pointer to be allocated.

Not sure if these requirements are important to anyone else, but I don't
mind making my own custom containers if I need to.