emscripten

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Dec 14 23:18:51 PST 2010

"Michael Stover" <michael.r.stover at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1004.1292372981.21107.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> Complaining the editor isn't like vi just makes me roll my eyes.  Few
> would
> really want it to be.  However, again, there are vi clones in javascript,
> if
> one were really wanted it.

Text editors that rely on JavaScript are abominations, period.

> I can go anywhere and get my email, including the computers at the Y, the
> library, from behind the firewall at work, and on my sister's computer
> when
> I go visit her for Christmas.  I won't have to install anything to be able
> to do so.

I use Outlook Express for my email. Anytime I'm away from one of my own
computers, I can use the shitty web interface that my server provides. But
then when I'm back on my computer, get to use a client that doesn't blow.
Look, look -> There's my cake, and I'm eating it!

Besides, no-install software is entirely possible without resorting to the
web browser abomination. The *only* reason they aren't already ubiquitous is
because people keep irrationally clinging to all this moronic "web app"
bullshit.

> I really don't think the complaints about the browser platform and
> javascript have much validity anymore.  They used to.  But I think those
> days are gone, and I think it's like the whole "java is slow" phenomenon.
> It takes a ridiculously long time for most people to change their
> perception
> of things once they've had a bad experience.

I hear the "Java's fast now, really!" a lot. I don't buy it. If Java's no
longer slow, I'd like to see some video codecs (mp4/ogm/xvid/etc...) written
in Java that actually compare to systems-language ones that people actually
use, and without the code being twice as convoluted as the systems-language
ones.

Plus, JS is undeniably slow on my web browser: FF2. And I'll happily give up
FF2 exactly when someone comes out with a web browser that does the
following, and without fucking something else up in the process:

- No unified forward/back buttons
- No cluttered, crayola-colored address bar and dropdown.
- No skin.
- No useless always-resident processes.
- No invisi-text for light-on-dark systems.
- NoScript or an equivalent.
- AdBlock Plus or an equivalent.
- BetterPrivacy or an equivalent.
- TabMixPlus or an equivalent.