Paralysis of analysis

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 06:45:35 PST 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:11:59 +0100
Simon Buerger <krox at gmx.net> wrote:

> > So since we have the opportunity to decide now for eternity the right
> > thing, I think reference semantics works great with containers.
>
> Indeed. Whichever way to go, you need a good reason.

There is not nay good technical answer.
The only answer is semantic, on a per-application basis: it depends on what the collection actually represents. Every container, just like a composite element (struct vs class (*)) can be required on both value & ref version. That's why we cannot decide,there will always be people on both sides based on personal preferences and previous experiences.
Value vs ref has nothing to do with the data type. We could go on arguing on this question until the end of times ;-)

Denis

(*) That's I regret D structs (unlike eg Oberon's record) do not have the full expressiveness of classes (miss extension/inheritance and method dispatch according to runtime-type).
vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com