emscripten

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Dec 15 10:38:44 PST 2010

"Michael Stover" <michael.r.stover at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1018.1292422650.21107.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> And that's the problem - we're talking about applications that happen to
> be
> distributed via the web, not a "website".

Ahh, I see, so it's just "distributed via the web". Here are some
applications that *are*, in fact, distrubuted via the web:

- DMD
- Eclipse
- GIMP
- Avisynth / VirtualDub
- Linux / BSD

Those are distributed via the web and using them doesn't require one damn
bit of in-browser code execution. Hell, they doesn't even require a browser
at all. And no, I'm *not* playing semantics games here: "Distributed via the
web" means exactly what it means. So obviously we *are* talking about
websites that act as apps, *not* merely apps distributed via the web.

> Everyone's demands that it work
> in lynx, FF2, with javascript turned off, etc are ludicrous.  You don't
> get
> to make such demands of applications.

Of course I get to. See, here I am demanding it. What can you possibly mean
by I "don't get to make such demands of applications"? Of course I get to.

> Some applications are Windows only.

And Unix users *don't* use those apps (wine notwithstanding). Are you goint
to complain about Unix users who refuse to use Windows apps or desire apps
to be cross-platform?

> Some don't follow platform standards.

And I avoid using those programs. See, here I am making demands that you
didn't think I could make.

> Some require 1GB to work effectively.

Even *I* have 1GB RAM.

And some things *shouldn't* require 1GB RAM: Like a text-entry box.

> None let you require it work without running code, etc.

Strawman: Nobody ever said anything about not running any code at all. Web
apps can work perfectly fine running code on the server.