emscripten

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Dec 15 11:26:01 PST 2010

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:40:50 -0600, Andrew Wiley wrote:

> The point was that while Javascript is slow, it's getting fast enough
> to be useful. Yes, it's not C. It will never be. But the fact that any
> sort of realtime calculations are possible in it is a breakthrough that
> will be reflected in actual application code. Javascript was not
> designed to be fast, and honestly, it doesn't need to be fast to fill
> it's niche.

I'm not getting this. WHY we should use Javascript/HTML5 applications
instead. I'm perfectly happy with my existing tools. They work nicely. It
takes years to develop these applications on top of HTML5. I simply have
no motivation to use web applications. They have several downsides:

 - you "rent" the app, you don't "own" it anymore
   => which leads to: advertisements, monthly fees
   - this is especially bad if you're already using free as in beer/
speech software
   - this is especially bad ethically if you're writing free software

 - worse privacy (do I want some Mark SuckerBerg to spy on my personal
life for personal gain)

 - worse security (a networkless local box IS quite safe, if CIA is
raiding your house every week, you're probably doing something wrong,
otherwise, buy better locks)

 - worse performance (at least now and in the next few years)

 - worse usability

 - worse reliability (network problems, server problems)

I know the good sides. No need to mention them. In my opinion the
downsides are still more important when making the decision.