[OT] Browsers (was: Re: emscripten)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Dec 15 13:45:49 PST 2010

"Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote in message
news:op.vnrxxtcrtuzx1w at cybershadow.mshome.net...
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:18:51 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> Plus, JS is undeniably slow on my web browser: FF2. And I'll happily
>> give up
>> FF2 exactly when someone comes out with a web browser that does the
>> following, and without fucking something else up in the process:
>> - No unified forward/back buttons
>> - No cluttered, crayola-colored address bar and dropdown.
>> - No skin.
>> - No useless always-resident processes.
>> - No invisi-text for light-on-dark systems.
>> - NoScript or an equivalent.
>> - AdBlock Plus or an equivalent.
>> - BetterPrivacy or an equivalent.
>> - TabMixPlus or an equivalent.
>
> Hey Nick, don't mean to start a browser war or anything,

Fair enough :)

> but have you  tried Opera? Admittedly it fails at point 2 and perhaps
> others, but:
> 1) allows choosing between its own skin and the "OS native" skin
> 2) built-in NoScript (per-domain JavaScript toggle)
> 3) built-in FlashBlock, as of Opera 11 (solves the EverCookie problem)
> 4) built-in content blocker (wildcard-based), though doesn't auto-update
> like AdBlock Plus
> 5) several TabMixPlus features built-in
>
> I like Opera because its functionality is comparable with Firefox + a good
> deal of extensions, but it's much more responsive.

Yes, I gave it another try fairly recently, in fact. The "OS native" skin
isn't remotely native (in fact, I didn't even know it was the "OS native"
setting until I went into the skin options to turn on "OS native" and found
it was already on), and it doesn't fit point #2 like you said. Unless
there's been a very big change very recently, Opera's "extentions" aren't
extensions at all but widgets that have little-to-no connection with the
web-browsing function. I think I had some other problems as well though I
don't remember exactly what. I posted my impressions of it on this NG, you
can probably just search the NG for posts from "Sabalausky" with "opera" in
the text. It was better than I expected, but not enough to tear me away from
FF2 (not that I'm happy with FF2).