emscripten

Andrew Wiley debio264 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 23:31:13 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Michael Stover" <michael.r.stover at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1041.1292446362.21107.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > >With my own computer, there are things I can do to prevent that. With
> > webapps I'm 100% reliant on someone else: there isn't a damn thing I can
> > do.
> >
> > But what about your group-think lemming mother?
> >

> Unfortunately, she leaves the security and accessibility of her data at the
> mercy of MS's web monkeys. So tell me how exactly that's supposed to be an
> improvement over just keeping it on her local system? Yes, either way there
> are possible security risks. But there isn't a chance in hell a webapp can
> actually be considered better in that regard.

This is what you're not seeing. Web applications have zero-install,
zero-configuration, and while you've pointed out that people whine when they
change, those same people are already using them and continue to use them
anyway. Why? Ease of use.
The sad truth is that most computer users know next to nothing about how
their computer works, and when given the choice between a fully featured
email client they have to set up properly and a ready-to-go webmail system
like Gmail/Hotmail, the choice seems fairly obvious. The same average user
would probably say their data is safer with Microsoft than on their
computer, simply because Microsoft has experts working to maintain privacy
and backup, while the user might not even understand how he/she would go
about that sort of thing. Now, from the inside that we see as developers,
the picture isn't as pretty, but still. Computers and software are designed
and created by the elite for both the elite and the non-elite. When the
non-elite have a choice between doing it themselves and trusting it to the
elite, the rise of web applications shows that they will generally choose
the elite.
For power users, this choice just isn't the same.