[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

Justin Johansson noreply at jj.com
Thu Dec 16 05:39:15 PST 2010

Just wondering how others rate Thunderbird as a decent newsreader.

My experience with Thunderbird is that it is not of a standard of
distinction that one would hope for in 2010 coming 2011.

For one thing, and perhaps this is a newsgroup server problem, but I
doubt it, my Thunderbird client shows a number of D NG topics as being
unread though the folder tree item for d.D shows all items as read.

Aside from that issue, my experience with Thunderbird is that it is not
particularly innovative in drawing my attention to the high-traffic
topics apart from telling me that one-or-more responses are unread (as
opposed to popular topics for example).

Overall I think Thunderbird is a bit lame as a newsreader for this day
and age, and, though it owes me nothing and I paid nothing for it, I do
wonder what others think of their NG experience using Mozilla Thunderbird.

-- Justin