[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Dec 16 20:54:53 PST 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:ieen8f$25sf$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:ieegkh$1mu9$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> OE cannot back up or transfer its message database. That killed it for
>>> me.
>>
>> Yea, that has been in the back of my mind ever since one other time that
>> you mentioned it. Been meaning to do somethng about it, but just been
>> kinda sticking with it anyway while I have 100 more urgent things :/
>
> I procrastinated doing something about it for a long time, too, for the
> same reasons. Until one day my machine got hit with a virus, and the only
> way to get rid of it was to wipe & reinstall Windows. That was I think the
> 3rd time I lost my O.E. database, and I'd had enough.

Oh, I thought you were saying that the whole problem was just the whole
proprietary storage format and that there wasn't a way to migrate to/from
another email program. It *is* possible to backup and restore OE's DB, it
just doesn't have a simple option for it through the UI:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Basically, for the messages, you just backup a certain directory, and
there's a place in OE's options that will tell you the directory's path.
There's also ways to backup/restore the address book and mail/NG accounts.

Yea, it would definitely be nice if it had a single simple button to backup
everything, or a simple way to cron it or something, but it is at least
possible to backup/restore OE's data.