emscripten

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Fri Dec 17 17:45:46 PST 2010

On 12/16/2010 03:04 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> I do make my pages usable both ways and I've found the extra effort to be
> downright minimal. Unless you're doing things very, very, very wrong, the
> vast majority of the work in a site is independent of JS vs non-JS.

For the mortgage calculator, you have to implement the same
functionality twice, once in JavaScript, and once as a backend
calculation using request/response server navigation. The technologies
are very different and it's nearly a complete duplication of work.

> And besides, no one's ever going to get me to agree with something simply by
> trying to shame me into it with some idiotic "newer-is-inherently-better",
> "Oh no! I don't want to be un-trendy!!" line of dumbass sheep-think.

You're missing the point. 1995 is when JavaScript came out, and you
couldn't depend on the browser having it. Now it's nearly ubiquitous, so
there's very little benefit to spend the time making something like a
mortgage calculator work without JavaScript.

Your argument is to do extra work for a worse interface to benefit a
minority of users. By the way, I browse by default with NoScript. I
resisted JavaScript just as much as you, but it does have it's uses, and
I'll enable it when I have to.