[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Fri Dec 17 18:41:19 PST 2010

On 12/16/2010 08:39 AM, Justin Johansson wrote:
> Just wondering how others rate Thunderbird as a decent newsreader.

In general I am happy with it. It has a couple of minor bugs or a
feature missing that I want, but there's a lot that it does right.
(Thanks to the person who recommended the QuoteCollapse add-on. This
newsgroup desperately needs it.)

> For one thing, and perhaps this is a newsgroup server problem, but I
> doubt it, my Thunderbird client shows a number of D NG topics as being
> unread though the folder tree item for d.D shows all items as read.

Try right-clicking on the newsgroup and selecting Mark Newsgroup Read. I
think the unread number you see might be from not downloading all the
messages.

> Aside from that issue, my experience with Thunderbird is that it is not
> particularly innovative in drawing my attention to the high-traffic
> topics apart from telling me that one-or-more responses are unread (as
> opposed to popular topics for example).

In the columns list, there's a button to customize what columns to
display. One of them is Total. If you collapse all threads ('\' hotkey,
under View -> Threads on the menu), you'll get a count for each thread.

The above applies to version 3.0.