emscripten

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Dec 17 20:21:18 PST 2010

Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:58:06 -0500, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:

> On 12/17/2010 09:18 PM, retard wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, JavaScript still isn't very efficiently supported on many
>> platforms.
>
> Do you think performance is a problem for a mortgage calculator?
>
> I think the performance issues of JavaScript are way overblown for the
> majority of use cases. I think the biggest problem is people keeping
> open lots of tabs with crappy JavaScript running from ad farms.

You can test this by running popular google web applications with a
vanilla installation of Gnome / KDE desktop. Those are the most used
desktop environments in the Linux land. Both have problems with the
khtml / webkit browsers provided by the environments. The neverending
feed page in google reader makes Gnome's browser soon choke. Some events
in gmail make KDE's browser confused (not responding to further events).
This is the typical behavior you get with Linux distributions not using
latest Firefox / Opera / Chromium. I'd consider the fact that you're not
being able to read your mail quite critical. It's just that the html 5
developers don't care. Webmails have worked with html 3/4 browsers for
over 15 years now.