[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Dec 18 12:22:18 PST 2010

"sybrandy" <sybrandy at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:iej200$30nv$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> - Thunderbird apparently has *data loss/corruption* issues, and yet it's
>> very popular.
>> - OE *doesn't* have data loss/corruption issues, and yet it's widely
>> looked-down upon.
>>
>> So what's wrong with this picture?
>
> I've never used OE as, well, I preferred Thunderbird, however I've never
> experienced any data loss/corruption with Thunderbird.  Perhaps it's not
> the products themselves but something in the environment that's causing
> the issue?

Hmm, perhaps so.

> On a side note, as for why OE is looked down upon, at least from my point
> of view any environment where different pieces of software are so closely
> tied together that it makes various types of virii very easy to
> create/propagate is not one I want on my system.  My word processor should
> not control my email client and vice-versa.

The worm issues were fixed ages ago. As for connections with word
processor/etc, I haven't seen any indication of OE ever acting any less like
a stand-alone app than anything else. (And actually, Thunderbird has a lot
of ties to Firefox, AIUI). Maybe you're thinking of Outlook, not OE?

> I'm the type of person that if I don't know that a piece of software is
> being installed by company sysops, I'll report a virus since I was unaware
> of the installation and I didn't do it myself.  And yes, I have done that.

Heh heh, I like that. :)