Game development is worthless? WTF? (Was: Why Ruby?)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Dec 19 08:55:41 PST 2010

Caligo:

> Game companies use all kinds
> of psychology in their games to keep you playing as long as possible.  That
> is why to me there is no honor in game development.  Also, I never said it's
> worthless; they make tons of money, and that's almost always at the expense
> of people like you.

Many games are like drugs. That's very bad. But people need to play too, and there are instructive games too, for example games that develop your intuition about how dynamic systems work (SimCity and its followers), there are some smart games too. This is a game, but it's not so terrible for the mind of people, it's not a bad drug:
http://armorgames.com/play/2205/light-bot

Bye,
bearophile