Optimizing delegates

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 19 09:20:51 PST 2010

> Inlining delegates is technically much more difficult than inlining
> aliases. This is because a different function will be generated for each
> alias argument, whereas only one function would be used for all
> delegates. There are techniques to address that in the compiler, but
> they are rather complex.

Let me add that good Lisp programmers understand that very well.
Seasoned Lisp experts seldom use the textbook lambdas as can be seen in
all Lisp books and that rank and file Lisp programmers use everywhere.
Experts use macros because they understand their advantages (of which
speed is an important one).

Andrei