Optimizing delegates

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Sun Dec 19 09:23:50 PST 2010

> On 12/19/10 11:13 AM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:

>>> void foobar3(alias fun)() {
>>> return fun(1);
>>> }
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> This of course has the following problem:
>>
>> int foobar2(int delegate(int x) f) {
>> }
>>
>> foobar2((int x, int y) { ... });
>>
>> Error: function foobar2 (int delegate(int) f) is not callable using
>> argument types (int delegate(int x, int y))
>>
>> ---
>>
>> int foobar3(alias f)() {
>> f(1);
>> }
>>
>> foobar3((x, y) { ... });
>>
>> foo.d(8): Error: template foo.main.__dgliteral1(__T2,__T3) does not
>> match any function template declaration
>> foo.d(8): Error: template foo.main.__dgliteral1(__T2,__T3) cannot deduce
>> template function from argument types !()(int)
>> foo.d(12): Error: template instance foo.main.foobar3!(__dgliteral1)
>> error instantiating
>>
>> So I have to go to foo.d(8) to see what the problem is, understand what
>> is being invoked (in this case it was easy but it get can harder), or
>> otherwise say "Hey, the one that implemented foo, please do a static
>> assert msg if f is not what you expect". Basically "Implement the error
>> message that the compiler would have given you for free if you didn't
>> use a template".
>
> Template constraints are meant to assuage that problem.
>
> Inlining delegates is technically much more difficult than inlining
> aliases. This is because a different function will be generated for each
> alias argument, whereas only one function would be used for all
> delegates. There are techniques to address that in the compiler, but
> they are rather complex.
>

> Andrei

I understand.

So why do I have to use a whole different syntax to make something
accepting a delegate a function or a template?

Why can't this be accepted?

int foobar2(int delegate(int x) f)() {
}

and let the compiler interpret it as:

int foobar2(alias f) if ("the correct constraint which I don't want to
learn how to write because the above SHOULD work") {
}

?