Game development is worthless? WTF? (Was: Why Ruby?)

so so at so.do
Sun Dec 19 13:49:27 PST 2010

> You are absolutely right; life sucks for many people, and that's why
> some of
> them choose to play video games.  It gives them a chance to escape
> reality,
> and game companies exploit this to make money.  Game companies use all
> kinds
> of psychology in their games to keep you playing as long as possible.
> That
> is why to me there is no honor in game development.  Also, I never said
> it's
> worthless; they make tons of money, and that's almost always at the
> expense
> of people like you.

You are right saying games suck, since the new generation "games" are not
games, they are just garbage "simulators".

But you should understand, for this kind of things there is always good
and a bad practice.
Popularity favors bad practices better than good.
Can you say movies suck? or music in general? This is exactly same.

You guys gave an example to a very bad practice, a corporation, by
definition(?) nothing but profit.
Now i am going to tell you about a good practice.

Outcast - Probably most of you never heard of it.

For me, it had everything that define a game.