Why Ruby?

Alex_Dovhal alex_dovhal at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 07:56:07 PST 2010

"Stephan Soller" <stephan.soller at helionweb.de> wrote
> I read your post in the context of method chaining with templates like
> filter! and map!. Looks like I missed the point. :)
>
> I think your idea is pretty impressive. Maybe useful for some high-level
> stuff like mathematical formulas.

Yes, I borrowed the idea and syntax (changed a little) from Maxima CAS
(computer algebra system - system for symbolically manipulating algerbraic
formulaes) - there they have functions like makelist(i*i, i, 1, 10),
sum(i*i, i, 1, 10), prod... etc. which appealed me so much. That expression
in Maxima is converted to LISP and then calculated and send back to CAS.
Here string is parsed to AST and then form new string to be mixed in D code.