is it possible to learn D(2)?

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Dec 20 11:32:41 PST 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:02:51 -0500
>>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Nowakowski <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Jeff> Hypocrisy is a pet peeve of mine. How about discussing the gory
Jeff> problems with const, and discussing the true state of the
Jeff> language at the next D talk? If you're going to bash Go
Jeff> presentations for cherry-picking, you should hold yourself to the
Jeff> same standards.

Please don't take it personal...I'm just taking 'advantage' of your
post to suggest to all the posters one thing: Please be a little bit
more positive towards Walter and Andrei. They are not Supermans but
sincerely trying to give some good to us and it's practically free.

Long ago, I bought and used Walter's Zortech C++ compiler which was
superb. Then I left programming waters and returned back some years
ago. I didn't want to go to C(++) which evolved into huge beast and
skipped all the scripting languages trying my fortune with Haskell.

However, after some time I've decided that I want something more
pragmatic...read a bit about D, saw Andrei's Google presentation (I
liked his enthusiasm), bought the TDPL book (and put it in hardcover
to last longer) and now I'm slowly learning the language hoping to use
it in a real-world along with QtD.

Yes, I'm not blind and can see that some mistakes were probably done
within D community...D is certainly not perfect language (this title
is already reserved for Sanskrit :-) ), but if you can tell me about
better language to be used for practical daily programming having
feature set or covering different programming paradigms - here I
am. ;)

I did my homework and nothing is similar to D, so please make this
newsgroup more pleasant place by uttering some nice words about Walter
& Bright. I sincerely believe they're humans who like to get some
encouragement as well instead of constant downpour of (very often)
unjustified criticism.

If anyone can do better, pls. step in and show the
example...otherwise, let's us show some gratitude towards people
trying to make programming more fun.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA