gdc-4.5 testing

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Dec 21 02:36:02 PST 2010

Lutger Blijdestijn wrote:
>> I uploaded the packages to SourceForge, if anyone else
>> wants to try them... It's made for Fedora 14 (x86_64):
>
> Thnx, installs and works fine for a few quick tests. Would be great to see
> the first D2 compiler in the next fedora release, and debian / ubuntu too of
> course. Great work!

So that would be two different requests, the first is making
a new package for D2 and the second is upgrading to GCC 4.6...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GCC46

I believe that Ubuntu are sticking with GCC 4.5.x for Natty,
or at least 4.5.1 is what is in the current Alpha 1 release ?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/gcc

The current "dmd" packages have an issue with /usr/bin/dmd
and /usr/include/d/dmd conflicts between 1.0xx and 2.0yy RPM,
even if /usr/lib/libphobos.a and /usr/lib/libphobos2.a don't.
Any packages for GDC using D2 would have the same problem...

But it should be possible to use shims and symlinks to make
both installable, at least that's how it works on Mac OS X ?
A bigger problem is finding more developers for GCC46 and D2,
or perhaps upgrading LDC/Tango to D2 in the case of Fedora ?

--anders