gdc-4.5 testing

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 21 08:45:10 PST 2010

== Quote from Lutger Blijdestijn (lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com)'s article
> Anders F Björklund wrote:
> >>
> >> Thnx, installs and works fine for a few quick tests. Would be great to
> >> see the first D2 compiler in the next fedora release, and debian / ubuntu
> >> too of course. Great work!
> >>

> > So that would be two different requests, the first is making
> > a new package for D2 and the second is upgrading to GCC 4.6...
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GCC46
> >
> > I believe that Ubuntu are sticking with GCC 4.5.x for Natty,
> > or at least 4.5.1 is what is in the current Alpha 1 release ?
> >
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/gcc
> >
> > The current "dmd" packages have an issue with /usr/bin/dmd
> > and /usr/include/d/dmd conflicts between 1.0xx and 2.0yy RPM,
> > even if /usr/lib/libphobos.a and /usr/lib/libphobos2.a don't.
> > Any packages for GDC using D2 would have the same problem...
> >
> > But it should be possible to use shims and symlinks to make
> > both installable, at least that's how it works on Mac OS X ?
> > A bigger problem is finding more developers for GCC46 and D2,
> > or perhaps upgrading LDC/Tango to D2 in the case of Fedora ?
> >
> > --anders
> Yes, it requires some thought and manpower obviously. I'm not a packager, I
> don't what exactly is proper way to do it, but Fedora already packages
> python 2.x and python 3.x side by side, so perhaps that is a start. For
> Fedora I think D2 could be positioned as an alternative to mono in the long
> run, it fits the distro very well.

In GCC you have give --program-suffix="foo" to give bespoke program suffixes to
the main driver name (gdc). This is usually used to identify different versions
of GCC, ie: gdc-4.4, gdc-4.5

Include directories need no altering, as we already install D2 files in
/usr/include/d2

Which leaves us with the name of the physical compiler (cc1d). This name is
constant for both D1 and D2 at the moment, though it's a one-liner change to
rename to "cc1d2" for D2 (see Make-lang.in), and you can have that in your
distribution patches.

Regards