gdc-4.5 testing

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Dec 21 13:16:11 PST 2010

Neal Becker wrote:
>> AFAIK both shared libraries and x86_64 code have been working
>> for years with GDC, even though that is not the case with DMD.
>>
>> Phobos is still static, though.
>>
> But you can't link shared obj to static lib (Phobos), except on i386 - so
> you really can't use shared obj on x86_64 (if you need phobos).

I don't get it, it shouldn't be that much different from a
static libstdc++ or something. You do need libgcc_s.so for
the exceptions to be thrown correctly, but otherwise your
application would be linking to Phobos anyway I thought...

Do you have some more advanced example than the toy tests ?

And it's possibly a *good* thing that Phobos is only a
static library, if it's not API/ABI-stable and ready...
It's easier to handle the code bloat than the dll hell.
But it does make for bigger executables than C++ does.

The size of the wxD executables was ridiculous, though. :-P

--anders