Why Ruby?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Dec 21 20:41:46 PST 2010

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:ier8i4$1db8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 12/21/10 4:02 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> You presuppose there's a need to stick with the original metaphor. There
>>> are many good metaphors to use, and there are a lot of good jokes around
>>> the "porn scanners".

>>> There are a lot of actually good jokes around that topic. I think this
>>> one, for example, is not gross at all: when describing the shortcomings
>>> of iterators, I mentioned "you have to have a pair to do anything". I
>>> delivered that with a straight face and it was really interesting to see
>>> the audience slowly getting the doublespeak and starting to laugh with
>>> various latencies. I am subjective but I think that one is firmly on the
>>> opposite side of a thin line than the "fondled balls" joke.
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> I forgot part of my argument actually: Just as the "balls" metaphor has
>> that meaning, conversely, "being grabbed by the balls" means kinda the
>> opposite: being subjugated, dominated, restrained, kept-under-control,
>> emasculated, etc.. So I think the "having your balls fondled at the
>> airport" is a direct allusion to that metaphor, which goes in line with
>> the talk's general theme of anti-authoritarianism.
>> So yes, I am presupposing there's a need to stick with the original
>> metaphor. (in order to convey the subjugation meaning/allusion.)
>
> I'd almost agree had the word "fondled" been absent :o).

This is what makes me question the existence of anti-female sexism in the
joke: Replace the word "balls" with either "breasts" or any slang (or
non-slang) term for female genitalia. Maybe replace the speaker with a
woman, too, I don't care, either way. Or keep the word "balls" and make the
speaker a woman. Any combination, whatever. Would that make it offensive to
men? Maybe I'm just really weird as far as men go, but I honestly can't see
how it would be. I certainly wouldn't take offense to it, no matter how you
arranged the male/female-ness. But I can certainly imagine people that would
still wave an "offensive to women" banner.

So unless I just have a really bad grasp of human behavior (and knowing me,
I very well might), what we have is a situation where references to any
gender-specific body part is offensive to...women and only women. Which
triggers the "Reductio ad absurdum" flag in my mind.