Why is D slower than LuaJIT?

loser donottalk at to.me
Wed Dec 22 15:22:16 PST 2010

Adam D. Ruppe Wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >  I would guess this has something to do with
> > the lack of inlining for algorithmic functions.
>
> Yeah, this is almost certainly the problem. I rewrote the
> code using a traditional C style loop, no external functions,
> and I'm getting roughly equal performance.

So is it justified enough to throw my W's incompetence card on the table at this point? How else it is possible that a simple scripting language with simple JIT optimization heuristics can outperform a performance oriented systems programming language. It seems most D design decisions are based on the perceived performance value (not as aggressively as in C++ groups). I'd like to see how this theory doesn't hold water now?