How is the D programming language financed?

Thomas Mader thomas.mader at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 03:06:56 PST 2010

I would be interested in how the D programming language is financed as a
project?
As it seems the core projects at the moment are dmd, druntime and phobos.
All of these are in a very active state with multiple contributors when
judging the revision logs.

I guess many of these contributors are volunteers but are there also
people who get somehow money for their work?

It's conceivable that Andrei, Walter and others get money for talks they
give but is there anybody who can work on D fulltime without the need to
do a daytime job beside it?

I know that Andrei works as a research scientist for Facebook but how do
other main contributors get their money?

I wonder how people can manage to work on a fulltime job and on D.

Who pays the needed infrastructure?

Thomas