How is the D programming language financed?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 13:21:03 PST 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:43:11 -0500, Thomas Mader <thomas.mader at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am 2010-12-23 21:01, schrieb spir:
>> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:41:06 +0100
>> Thomas Mader<thomas.mader at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's very important for D to step into the corporate world to
>>> get more stability, a bigger community and therefore a stronger
>>> toolchain.
>>> For this to happen companies need trust in the future of the project
>>> and
>>> the future are the people and the infrastructure behind D.
>>
>> This is true, but having important corporate investment would also
>> strongly freeze the language in a premature state. It's too early (for
>> D2).
>>
>> Denis
>> -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> vit esse estrany ☣
>>
>> spir.wikidot.com
>>

> I agree but I must confess that I'm confused about the state of D2.
> It's said that for new projects someone should use D2 but I often
> recognize that it is not considered ready/finished yet. On the other
> hand I also read somewhere that with the release of the book "The D
> programming language" D2 is finalized?

The book describes the concepts that D2 will implement.  In that respect,
TDPL's word is final (mostly).  It does not mean the reference compiler
properly implements those concepts.  There are still several concepts
(alias this and inout come to mind) which are not implemented well at all.

In particular, the book makes very little mention of Phobos, which is
still being changed profusely.

I'd say D2 is good enough for toy projects, and if you find bugs, they can
help us make it better.  But if you want to make a serious large project
and don't want to deal with instability, I'd recommend using D1, but you
may find D1 Phobos quite lacking.  I can't really recommend Tango due to
possible taint issues, but you may find that an acceptable alternative.

-Steve