D vs C++

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 25 02:09:30 PST 2010

== Quote from Caligo (iteronvexor at gmail.com)'s article
> --000e0cd3329a1dd988049835b35d
> If there are, say, 14 unique words then the executable compiled with GDC
> doesn't always output the correct result and sometimes it gives segmentation
> fault. 14 in this case would be the correct result, and 32 would not.  It
> seems to work fine with very small data sets, but things start to go wrong
> with larger ones.
> As for the system, it's a 64-bit GNU/Linux, no multilib.  What else do you
> need?
> For GDC I've used gcc-4.4.5 and the following compiler flags:
> 'gdc -O2 -o count_d count.d'
> I can't post the data because it's too large, but it shouldn't be too
> difficult to generate it. 1MB of text file should work.

As far as I'm aware, something either GC or TLS related is most likely to be
problem in D runtime for you. 64bit runtime has been a bit flimsy in D2 since
circa 2.040. No one's yet bisected the repository, probably expecting me to prod
and find the bad commit merged from DMD using whatever 64bit hardware I don't
have. :~)