D vs C++

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Dec 26 02:35:31 PST 2010

foobar wrote:
> Isn't this subjective and depends on what you compare with and also depends
> on use cases?

I think we should be careful about deciding what constructs are "bug prone" and
which aren't. My attitudes on it are based on being a programmer for 35 years -
my own experience with bugs, working with programming teams in companies, doing
compiler tech support, working on safety critical systems, looking at bug
reports for various systems, and talking with professional programmers.

Break and continue have never been on the radar as being a source of confusion
or bugs.

On the other hand, things like:

    for (i = 0; i < 10; i++);
	foo();

do show up now and then, and cause much grief. I'd much rather address issues
that are known to cause problems. Bearophile's post about break and continue
being bug prone is the first complaint I've heard about it since around 1980.
And C/C++/Java/etc programmers are *not* shy about complaining about things they
think are causing them grief.