D vs C++

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 10:20:45 PST 2010

On 12/27/10, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> Andrej Mitrovic:
>
>> If you used D for several years and then switched to Python, you would
>> without a doubt create many bugs.
>
> I'm using D for enough years, so I don't believe this argument any more.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Okay, but why do you often experience bugs? Is it because of lack of
good documentation so you use the language/library incorrectly but not
by your fault, are they mostly implementation bugs, or is it a fault
of the language itself? I doubt the language itself is to blame, it
has a great set of features to fight off bugs.

Do you use often invariants and unittests, for example? Do you write D
code using safe D features, or do you often use pointers and casts and
traverse arrays by hand (and not using foreach for example), and use
unsafe C functions (printf)?

What I'm saying is D code needs to be written in an idiomatic way to
take advantage of all those safety features it provides. I'm pretty
sure you can find a ton of potential bugs at compile time if you stick
with the safe features of D. And implementation bugs are getting
fixed, so the language itself shouldn't be judged based on that.