"The D Programming Language" : Still valid?

Klaim mjklaim at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 07:12:53 PST 2010

Hi!

I'm a C++ and game developpement enthousiast and I'm insterested in D as a
potential language to use for my game developpements.

I bought the book "The D Programming Language" on Amazon as pre-command and
got one of the early no-author-name-on-front edition.

I started to read the chapter quickly introducing a lot of language features
and got through the basic language structures chapters. After that I needed
to read another book for work and paused reading this one.
When I started to read, I registered to this mailing list to have an idea of
where things are going with this language - as it had/have? a reputation of
having a splitted community that was a problem.

I've read interesting topics around here. But I remarked that there seem to
be some languages changes that are still going on and I'm not sure if there
is a roadmap (for a 3.0 version?), and if there is a list of features that
will be added or removed from the version from the book.

So my question is simply : how much is the book outdated now? (it's still
pretty young so I was surprised of talkings about a lot of changes and
addition)
Will I still benefit a lot from reading all the book? Wich part should I
know will/have change/d? Is there a place somewhere where there is a delta
of differences between the version described in the book and the current
stable one?

Thanks for your attention.

A. Joel Lamotte - klaim