Clay language

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 22:28:22 PST 2010

bearophile wrote:

> The Clay syntax for imports is more similar to what I have desired for D:

That looks virtually identical to D, with the sole exception of
"import module" there means "static import module" in D and
"import module.*" is "import module".

But the functionality is identical. I've seen you bring up this
import thing over and over again, and every time someone points
out D already does what you ask for and has since forever ago,
but you always bring it up again.

I don't understand what your problem is with this. Is your only
complaint that import all is the default? If yes, why did you
show 3 irrelevant things there instead of just the two that
directly reflect what you are trying to say?

By the way, I find D's system to be perfect. It Just Works in
most situations, and fails to compile meaningfully in the rest,
trivially fixed by putting the absolute module path where it is
needed and nowhere else. This is rock solid today. (I assume when
you said bread solid you were referring to package protection and
stuff like that. But that's separate from the import statement,
so again, why not say it directly instead of mixing it with so
much irrelevant stuff?)

That's the ideal situation. Writing out qualified paths by default
is just awful, and I can't understand why you keep asking for it.