align(n) not working as expected

JimBob jim at bob.com
Tue Dec 28 08:53:15 PST 2010

"Robert Jacques" <sandford at jhu.edu> wrote in message
news:op.voeybap626stm6 at sandford...
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:32:37 -0700, %u <wfunction at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> As per the docs, align behaves in the manner of the companion C++ compile.
> DMC only defines align(1) and align(4), so they're the only two that work.
> So this isn't a bug per say, but more than one of us has asked for
> align(8)/align(16) support. (or at least a compile time warning). But
> there's several technical/performance issues with maintaining alignment
> different from the underlying OS. I'd also recommend D.learn for questions
> like these.

The only issue is with stack variables. There's no reason not to have
align(8) and align(16) for members. Heap alignment can be handled with a
custom allocator.

It's just retarded to not have align(16) for members and yet have support
for SSE asm instructions.

It's like telling someone yes the car has steering, but you have to use
these two pieces of rope because we couldnt work out / afford power
steering. The point being you could have put in un-powered steering for now
at least.