streaming redux

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Dec 29 05:33:45 PST 2010

On 2010-12-29 01:32:17 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> I may be misunderstanding, but to me it seems that this design brings
> more problems than it solves.

It seems we're approaching the problem from different angles. What you
seem to want is a general way to serialize objects and data structures.
For this task, your concept of Formatter is fine, except perhaps the
virtual dispatch overhead might be unacceptable in some cases.

What I want is a way to serialize specific objects to specific formats.
I don't need all of my objects to be serializable to a RSS feed, but
for those who do I want them to output things correctly, and nothing's
better for that than a formatter class that just takes some values as
function arguments and transform them to a RSS feed, encapsulating the
format within the formatter. This RSS formatter could in turn use an
XML formatter to write the XML output, which in turn could use some
kind a text formatter to convert the text to the desired encoding
before sending it to the transport layer.

So our formatters have different purposes, but they can share the same pattern.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/