streaming redux

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 08:18:12 PST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 02:02:29 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> I've put together over the past days an embryonic streaming interface.
> It separates transport from formatting, input from output, and buffered
> from unbuffered operation.
>
> http://erdani.com/d/phobos/std_stream2.html
>
> There are a number of questions interspersed. It would be great to start
> a discussion using that design as a baseline. Please voice any related
> thoughts - thanks!

One thing I just realized, the streams have no shared methods.  This means
they cannot be used as e.g. stdout...

What are your thoughts on solving this?  I firmly believe that unshared
streams should be a priority, but would there be some way to wrap an
unshared stream as a shared stream with some added layer of locking?

-Steve