Clay language

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Dec 29 13:19:03 PST 2010

Andrej Mitrovic:

> But even if you did change the semantics of import to a static import,
> you still wouldn't fix the *programmers* themselves.

This can't justify a worse design for the language.
And the syntax (and common idioms) of a language have some influence on the way programmers write code. If you give them a new default, some of them will use the new default instead of idioms from other languages they already know.

> And if you doubt that, just take a look at all the Python code that's
> out there. A ton of programmers still use the star syntax to import
> every symbol into the current scope,

If I go in the Python Package Index PyPI, I don't see many from foo import *. They are common only when you use code in the shell, or when you write 20 lines long scripts that use good modules. But in those good modules you will not find the import * often.
I guess compared to C programmers the Python community is more willing to follow a common good coding style :-)

Bye,
bearophile