Something Go and Scala syntax

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 07:15:32 PST 2010

spir wrote:
> Actually, do you know any editor _without_ this feature?

Notepad! I don't think elvis or gedit do either, all three of
which I've used for code in the past.

> But the actual issue is not about time at all, instead plain
> human laziness

There is more to it than laziness - it is frustrating to be stuck
on a stupid issue or have to do a lame activity, even if it takes
very little time.

When writing PHP, I find reaching for the $ every few characters
to be really annoying, and that puts me in a state of mind where
everything is annoying, and eventually I just want to quit.

(The worst thing is every other time, I hit # instead of $. Aaargh!)

I find templates in C++ to be similarly annoying. template Mtypename T> DRAT!
template ,typename T> SON OF A BITCH! Then it's just
visually ugly. But series of regular letters are very different than
special shifted characters.

There's cases where less resistant typing, less verbosity, etc.
is a bonus, even independently of reducing mental load, or needless
redundancy, (all benefits orthogonal to the typing issue) despite the objective
time spent being very small.

But shortening regular words into shorter (and made-up)words
really isn't one of them, especially since it is a non-issue
with so many simple and common editors.

> My guess is programmers spend ~ half of their time thinking, a
> quarter of their time controlling & another quarter fixing;
> the rest, typing.

I don't know about that! If my personal vices are any indication,
it is more like half watching television, a quarter doing pointless
bike-shed flamewars on usenet, a quarter discussing Star Trek on
forums, and the rest doing real work :-P