Something Go and Scala syntax

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Dec 30 14:25:57 PST 2010

bearophile wrote:
> Adam Ruppe:
>
>> bearophile wrote:
>>> writing "immutable" often is boring and makes code longer.
>> im<tab>   ->  immutable
>
> That doesn't shorten the code.

You did say "writing" implying the act of typing it was the problem.

> I prefer something like "val", it's shorter to write, uses less space, it's
> clear enough, it's used in another language (Scala).

It isn't clear enough, as "value" doesn't have a clear meaning when the type is
a data structure. And remember that Scala does not have immutable types.

Immutable was picked because every other method xxx required an explanation of
the form "xxx means it's immutable". Calling it "immutable" solved that problem.

You could as well call it "const" or "enum", too.

> Very recently I have people saying me that using qualified import is bad
> because it makes lines longer :-)

There were several other major reasons given.

> I agree that special cases are not good. Go designers seem to value code
> succinctness much more than you and me and Walter :-)

May I suggest APL for you? APL is the reigning champ of succinctness.