Android development using D

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Fri Dec 31 02:35:30 PST 2010

Michel Fortin wrote:
>On 2010-12-30 09:44:46 -0500, Trass3r <un at known.com> said:
>
>> Well you can always compile to native ARM code with gdc for example.
>
>But has the runtime been ported to ARM?

There was no explicit porting, but I think it just works. I compiled a
hello world with gdc2 for ARM some time ago and it basically worked. If
optimization is enabled though, all programs enter an infinite loop,
see:
https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/issue/120/gc-enters-an-infinite-loop-on-arm
When I was trying to debug that issue I also enabled the GC debug output
and everything was correct. The gc collected objects and freed
memory as it should. Iain pushed some fixes to the floating point
control in phobos, but that's the only ARM specific change I'm aware of.

But generating code for Android could be more complicated. I'm not sure
if the NDK is enough. Maybe you'd have to root your phone, but then it
should be possible.