Less commas

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 31 14:40:14 PST 2010

bearophile wrote:
> I think they are confusing, and may hide bugs.

This is, again, an example of what I was talking about earlier. I've never, ever
seen this as an issue in 30 years of programming. There are plenty of problems
that actually adversely affect programs one can work on. We don't need to spend
time crafting solutions to problems that affect nobody.

It's like building a set for a movie. The set is meant to be seen only from the
angle the camera is set up at. Any other angle and the set looks completely
fake, and it being a facade is obvious. The reason is simple - there's no reason
to waste time and money making it look real from any angle other than that of
the camera.

> The same program compiled with DMD 2.051 produces this error:
> test.d(3): Error: long has no effect in expression (20)

The reason dmd checks for that (and not the former) is that such are actual
problems that often appear in real code and bedevil programmers.

If you really want to be productive with this, rather than sitting back and
thinking up imaginary problems, do things like peruse the bug database of a
large open source project. Look for patterns of problems that might be headed
off with language solutions.