TDPL a bad idea?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 12:45:36 PST 2010

On 02/02/2010 21:09, dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from BCS (none at anon.com)'s article

>>> By that definition, there is no censorship in China, because it's
>>> something the group (i.e. China) does to itself.
>>>
>> Group = citizens of china
>> controller = government of china
>> for the case in question (this NG)
>> group = people posting on NG
>> controller = people in NG wanting someone banned.
>> I see a difference
>
> By that logic censorship would be ok in a democracy then.

Absolutely true.
case in point is my country, Israel. we have "military censorship" where
any security related info does in fact need to be approved by the army
before it is published. unlike china it is OK since it is accepted by
the nation (we are a democracy after all) and we all realize that for a
country surrounded by enemies this is acceptable approach in order to
protect ourselves.
In fact, the army censor has very little work to do, mainly with regards
to the media. We all serve in the army and understand the importance of
this issue so there's little need to have an outside censorship police.

Based on my personal experience, this self imposed censorship is
misunderstood by other people which shows in the way foreign media
misjudges us on many occasions.

To conclude, It is perfectly fine to have self imposed censorship.