TDPL a bad idea?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:15:46 PST 2010

On 02/02/2010 23:05, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>>
>> Group = citizens of china
>> controller = government of china
>>
>> for the case in question (this NG)
>>
>> group = people posting on NG
>> controller = people in NG wanting someone banned.
>>
>> I see a difference
>
> The government of China are Chinese people. I see no difference. Once
> you create a "controller" class in the newsgroup, they become the
> government.

As others tried to explain regrading china - that's not the same thing.
regarding this newsgroup and online communities in general - have you
ever heard of the debian project? nothing prevents us from establishing
similar mechanisms such that all active and registered posters in this
group will have a say regarding policies and policing of those policies.
Since this NG is on Walter's servers and belongs to him, nothing
prevents doing the above on different community servers if Walter
disagrees with this.

I'm not saying we should do this, btw. I'm perfectly fine with the
current scheme of things where I need to filter superdan in my own
news-reader instead of having him banned from the NG. other people might
find his posts amusing and they have the right to read them.

IMO, we should have a registration system for regular people, not for
censoring purposes but for keeping track.
there are many posts by different people that call themselves with the
same name and it seems confusing and unproductive to me. people don't
have to register with their real names if they don't want to but at
least I could tell the difference between john and john1 when I'm
answering to john.
Also, regular folks can ensure by registering that no-one else can reply
to posts in their names.