TDPL a bad idea?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:21:56 PST 2010

On 03/02/2010 00:44, Walter Bright wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> IMO, we should have a registration system for regular people, not for
>> censoring purposes but for keeping track.
>> there are many posts by different people that call themselves with the
>> same name and it seems confusing and unproductive to me. people don't
>> have to register with their real names if they don't want to but at
>> least I could tell the difference between john and john1 when I'm
>> answering to john.
>> Also, regular folks can ensure by registering that no-one else can
>> reply to posts in their names.
>

> I've thought about building such a system for these forums many times.
> Registration would not be required to post, but registering would enable
> features like voting on posts, establishing a profile, preferences, etc.

That sounds awesome. Another useful feature would be storing session
info in the profile such that if I read a post at work the post will be
marked as such when I use a different computer/news-reader like my home PC.

wouldn't it be easier to just use web forums (there are many existing
system with all the bells and whistles) and write a news-gateway for it
than to implement all the features for the current news-server? it'll
also fix the currently broken web interface for the NG.