TDPL a bad idea?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Feb 2 17:42:18 PST 2010

Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> I've thought about building such a system for these forums many times.
>> Registration would not be required to post, but registering would enable
>> features like voting on posts, establishing a profile, preferences, etc.
>
> That sounds awesome. Another useful feature would be storing session
> info in the profile such that if I read a post at work the post will be
> marked as such when I use a different computer/news-reader like my home PC.

Yup. What I hate about reddit/slashdot/ycombinator is there's no way to
mark ones I've read as read. On a long thread, it's really hard to see
if there's anything new.

> wouldn't it be easier to just use web forums (there are many existing
> system with all the bells and whistles) and write a news-gateway for it
> than to implement all the features for the current news-server? it'll
> also fix the currently broken web interface for the NG.

They all suck. Sorry.

Most use far too much vertical space, spreading the thread out over
multiple pages, or don't indent a threaded view. And *none* of them have
the ability to mark what you've read.